The Curlew served Australia for 28 years – clearing Second World War mines from the waters around Papua New Guinea. The Curlew was built in 1953 in Scotland by the Montrose Ship Building Company as a minesweeper, and accepted into the Royal Navy as HMS Chediston.
She was later renamed HMS Montrose and used by the Tay Division of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve from August 1955 to October 1957.
The ship was then placed in storage until the 1960s, when the Royal Australian Navy bought her and converted her into the service’s first mine-hunter as the renamed Curlew.
Curlew steamed more than 400,000 nautical miles in 40,000 hours at sea before she was finally decommissioned in April 1990.HMAS Curlew, shipping